Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I Had all of the Symptoms Except One

And, then it was confirmed I had that one as well. Gastroparesis, or partial paralysis of the stomach and intestinal muscles. Food or beverages fill me quickly and just sit in my stomach. At some point I suppose gravity and acid assist in getting them through my intestines, or I eventually get nauseous and vomit, but the "sloshing" I hear in my stomach as I walk confirms that it is a slow process. This is a great way to lose weight as I have been instructed to eat many small meals per day instead of the traditional three (large) ones. However, it is also a great way to stay dehydrated. You see, I am supposed to be drinking 80 to 100 ounces of fluids per day due to the dysautonomia. I am down to 32 ounces and am needing infusions more than ever. I take so much medicine that the water alone for a dose of medicine fills me. I have to make a decision- do I want something to eat or something to drink? I cannot have both. Then, I think of people who have it worse than I, and give thanks to God for this. I know it can be worse. I also know that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

No comments :